"It takes a heap 'o livin' in a house t' make it a home" -Edgar A. Guest

Friday, November 2, 2007

Minerva Teichert: Pageants in Paint

Okay, everybody who is within a reasonable distance of BYU needs to attend this show. Luckily it will be up through May of next year, so you have some time before it closes, but I urge you not to wait too long. I was fortunate enough to work on this show, first as an intern and later as a curatorial assistant, for about a year. It was such a great experience and I learned so much about Minerva Teichert, especially through the opportunity I had to annotate her autobiography, which, though often quoted in articles written about her, had never, until now, been published. Stop by the MOA bookstore--my name is just inside the front cover of the exhibition catalogue (it's mispelled, but I'll take what I can get). :) The curator of the exhibit, Marian Wardle, and I were able to go on some fun trips in search of pieces to include in the show, including a harsh, winter drive to Rock Springs, Wyoming, and a trip to Mitt Romney's house in Deer Valley to look at a couple of murals he owns. It's been heart-wrenching for me not to be there for all of the lectures and events the MOA has put on for the show, but I did get to do a quick walk-through of the exhibit while I was in Utah for Adam's graduation. Here are some of the pieces included in the show:

This is my mom's personal favorite, Indian Basket and Pottery Makers. I put this on the desktop of my parent's computer over a year ago, so she was very excited to see the actual mural for herself.


Moving South is the coverpiece of the exhibition catalogue. It was owned by the Stark Collection--they loaned 12 Teichert murals to the MOA, 6 of which appear in the show. I got an email from Marian about a month ago informing me that the Stark Collection announced their intention, at the opening reception, to donate all 12 murals to the MOA.

Everybody loves Return of Captive Israel. I was so happy to see that this piece made it into the show. It is owned by the Church Museum of History and Art and is usually located in the Relief Society Building. The General Relief Society Presidency didn't know if they would be able to part with this piece for a year, so I'm glad to see they were.


This is one of the Rock Springs murals, Jackson Trail. Marian and I seriously almost died on this trip. We went in the beginning of December of last year in what turned out to be a horrendous snow storm. In spite of a flat tire, multiple calls to the State Highway Patrol, and the continuous whiteouts we experienced everytime an 18-wheeler flew by us, it was a successful trip since we were able to use two of their murals.

4 comments:

Christie // lemon squeezy home said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christie // lemon squeezy home said...

I don't know that I've ever really seen any of those, but I like them! You are so smart! You were using all these words and things that I was just thinking, Alvey sure knows her stuff:).

PS I removed my other post not thinking that it was going to say "this post has been removed by the author", because in my first one I didn't remember how to spell, and I didn't know how to edit it! Sorry to make a lame-o move like that on your beautiful new blog:).

Linda Pendleton said...

I am fascinated by the beautiful art of Minerva Teichert, grandmother of Marian Wardle. My favorite has to be Christ in Red Robe. My interest came about while writing an ebook about angels, and the story of Cokeville Elementary School in 1986. Then I saw that this artist had lived in Cokeville for a number of years. I wanted a business email for Ms. Wardle, if possible. Could you help with that? BTW--you are a beautiful family. :-)
Linda Pendleton

Donna Tagliaferri said...

Please help me! Return of captive Israel is in our temple.....no one knows what it means. Could you help with a translation of this beautiful painting?